The Netflix Report

Movie reviews from my Netflix queue. Highly personal and opinionated!

Try Netflix for Free!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Lord Of War

On the www.rottentomatoes.com Tomatometer, this film got a 60%. And I’d say that’s about right for the movie as a piece. It’s about 60% fascinating, engrossing, and well done – with the other 40% hanging heavy. Nicolas Cage plays a Brooklyn-born son of Ukrainian immigrants who becomes (through sheer force of will and some never explained incredible sources in the early part of his career) a supremely successful arms dealer to third-world despots.

Cage plays the part in his usual sleepy-eyed monotone, narrating events in a voice-over and living through them in the real-time action in a style meant to convey a lack of emotional involvement about the things he is participating in. Unfortunately it makes it tougher for us as the audience to care about a guy who doesn’t seem to care about the events we are watching.

The film follows a story arc a little bit like Goodfellas... The early stuff is light and easy as we develop an uneasy admiration and fondness for a person caught up in a fairly despicable business. Then the stakes get higher and the inevitable ramifications and consequences catch up with that character. But writer/director Andrew Niccol is no Scorsese. Cage’s character never really feels the downside impact. And Niccol seems to have more of a feel for outdoor location photography than interpersonal scenes on sets, so some of the emotional character-to-character stuff is marred by quick cuts from many different perspectives.

Make no mistake, this is a Message Movie (with capital M’s), and Niccol pounds it in fairly hard at the end. But I still found it a more interesting and nauseating concept than the over-lauded “Constant Gardener.” I found the final 20 minutes of the film very engaging – enough so to make up for some of the cheesy bits that had been sprinkled earlier.

Parents’ note: Not for the kiddies. There is brief female nudity, some swearing, and graphic violence and death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home